Candidate for U.S. Senate
Currently Lt. Governor of Pennsylvania
John Fetterman is a native Pennsylvanian hailing originally from York and later Braddock where he was elected Mayor in 2006. During his 13-year tenure as mayor, John Fetterman built back the town of Braddock from years of economic devastation. His very hands-on approach to community rebuilding and reuniting helped commence many creative urban initiatives and policy solutions to the city of Braddock. John worked at building community partnerships so that no home in Braddock suffers from heat insecurity and helped to cultivate programs that encourage community building. He officiated some of the first same-sex weddings in the state of Pennsylvania, despite much protest from the state. Fetterman – as he widely known state and nationwide – has a proven track record of fighting for the underprivileged. those working hard but still living in poverty and he has always stood up for the underrepresented and misrepresented. He believes that everyone deserves justice and has done extensive work on the pardon system to offer second chances to the wrongly accused and the wrongly convicted. He wants to take the filibuster head on and isn’t afraid to vote like a democrat but also engage with and encourage bi-partisan discourse and initiatives. He is the current Lieutenant Governor of Pennsylvania and in 2018 he helped to boost Governor Wolf’s re-election by almost one million more votes across the state of Pennsylvania.
If elected a Senator from Pennsylvania, John would focus on these areas and issues, from johnfetterman.com:
- The minimum wage should be a living wage of at least $15 an hour. All work has dignity, and all paychecks must too.
- Health care is a fundamental human right – just like housing, food, and education.
- Climate change is an existential threat. We need to transition to clean energy as quickly as possible, and we can create millions of good union jobs in the process.
- Weed should be legal, nationwide — for jobs, justice, veterans, farmers, and revenue. It’s time to end the failed war on drugs.
- Immigration is what makes America, America. We need a compassionate response to immigration reform that actually treats immigrants like human beings.
- Black Lives Matter. John served as mayor of a city that’s more than 80% Black, and has championed the idea that Black lives matter since long before it became a hashtag.
- The union way of life is sacred. It’s what built this nation, and it must be protected.
- A woman’s right to an abortion is non-negotiable. Women should have control over their own bodies and their own lives. Period.
- LGBTQIA+ communities deserve equal protections under the law. John has always stood for equality, and was one of the first elected officials in PA to officiate a same-sex wedding – when it was still illegal.
- Get corporate money out of politics. John refuses contributions from corporate PACs, and he signed the “No Fossil Fuel Money” Pledge.
For more information on this candidate for Senate, visit johnfetterman.com.